Thursday, January 21, 2010

Stormy Day = Comfort Food!

So I had just typed this blog almost to the end with just my left hand and my lap top died! So I am trying to remember exactly what I was saying. Waking up this morning to the sound of rain, yes rain in Arizona, it has been raining for 2 days now~! So this morning comfort food came to mind. I love quick and easy comfort food, ok who am I kidding I LOVE all comfort food. i could probably write an entire blog on comfort food alone. It was a good thing the grocery store had beef pot roast on sale buy one get one free yesterday. Comfort food in the crock pot great idea and even easier! So I decided pot roast with gravy, mashed potatoes, and green beans would be the menu for dinner. It fits in great with my weight loss plans for the year - ya right lol - but rainy days call for comfort food and that was a good enough excuse for me. Usually when I make pot roast I cut up garlic,onions,potatoes, and other veggies, but with one hand and wedding day duties calling this morning I decided to go simple. Simple meaning garlic and cream of mushroom soup. Now I know cream of mushroom soup is not the most professional ingredients, but it makes everything taste sooo good and it is so quick. There are so many great dishes I make with cream of mushroom soup and even my fiance who hates mushrooms eats the dishes with the soup in them to the point were he is about to get sick. I usually don't tell him its in there. After our great meal tonight my fiance said "well at least you can still cook with one hand!" So here is the recipe:

Pot Roast:
Beef Pot Roast (size depends on # of people serving)
4-5 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons steak grill seasoning
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 can chicken stock
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (evoo)

Gravy:
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon floor

Recipe:
Coat the bottom of the crock pot with evoo and place the pot roast in. Add the can of chicken stock. Smash the garlic to remove the skin, take a knife and slit holes into the roast and stuff with the garlic. Add the steak seasoning to the top of the roast and then the mushroom soup. Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.

Gravy:
After the roast is done pull it out of the crock pot and place in a pan. Add the butter and flour to a pan over med heat. Cook untill the butter smells nutty about 2-3 minutes. Pour the drippings into the pan and whisk, bring to a boil and them simmer to thicken.

Quick and easy! What is your favorite comfort food???

Untill next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment